Monday, January 14, 2013

Slingshot

It's the second act of my book, by which time Aggie has proved her capacity for rage. Enter Eugenia, the woman who will eventually steal from Aggie everything. Everything.

For the betrayal to pierce Aggie (and the reader) as deeply as possible, I've decided I must employ a slingshot--I'm making them friends. The triangle between the two mothers and the one daughter will be most strong if the two mothers can at times work together to thwart--even gang up on--Stella.

Oh how slow is the work of making Aggie trust. But the devil comes bearing many delicious pies...and sympathy.

"Girls are trouble, Aggie. I know. I've raised one who lives in England, and although you will never meet her or even see a photo of her past the age of 16, you must believe me when I tell you. Girls are trouble. And as mothers we must keep them safe."

Beyond a friend, who can Eugenia be to Aggie? Someone to take the brunt of Stella for a while? Someone to keep Stella safe, and in doing so, keep Aggie safe from herself--from what she might next do in rage? For that's what Aggie needed, and still needs. Someone to keep her safe.

I already know how much betrayal the slingshot will propel. The question now is how far Aggie's trust can stretch--for that is what will give the slingshot it's power to devastate her.

~ Victoria

1 Comments:

Blogger Seven Authors in A Private Conversation said...

I really like the idea of the slingshot, of ultimately validating all of Aggie's mistrust. You will trick the reader, too, which is doubly delicious.

Amy

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home