Tuesday, January 01, 2008

". . . and just a pinch of cyanide . . ."

"Well dear. . .for a gallon of Elderberry wine, I take one teaspoon full of arsenic, and a half a teaspoon full of strychnine and just a pinch of cyanide."
Martha Brewster
Arsenic and Old Lace

It turns out that one of my characters, the one known for her healing abilities, turns out to have a special tea. Used rarely, she considers it her gift to those who struggle through their final hours. It is a killer.

Searching for a "gentle" means of murder has taken me to some interesting websites. My time on one of them may have put me on a Homeland Security must-watch list. Even as I compose this message, some computer in a bunker somewhere may be recording my every keystroke.

Ah. What we risk for our craft.

Although I am not moving through the latest chapter at much speed, it is progressing--sometimes seemingly without effort. During the last three weeks there has not been much time to write, so I despair. But the little gray cells continue to work, and before I know it I have over eight pages of notes jotted down over the same period.

Did I say despair? How untrue. I feel so close to completing the puzzle I've created--even though I keep adding new bits.

2008 is going to one hell of a year--for all of us.

Happy New Year, NovelTies!


Angela

1 Comments:

Blogger Seven Authors in A Private Conversation said...

I always enjoy your posts, Angela, and I am glad you are progressing towards some "solutions" for your plot (ha, ha).

Since I've been reading the O'Brian novels with a co-main character who is a physician I've found it fascinating to learn about the toxic compounds they once used regularly in the practice of medicine in the Napoleonic era. Since people were short-lived the toxicity probably did not matter so much as it does today - a dozen other things would kill a patient before the doctor's medications did, but just as likely, the doctor sped things along without intent.

With the holidays over and the earth tilting ever so slowly back to summer I hope we all have more time to think and write. I look forward to seeing all the stories unfold.

Amy

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home