Wednesday, April 02, 2008

What Have I Wrought?

Well, Victoria, I see what you mean about changes. Oh dear, oh dear. I decided to rewrite my opening scene in Giles' POV and it has been hell ever since.

There is no sleep at night, no progress anywhere else in the book. Giles' raw emotions are nearly impossible to put into words, because he is angry and confused about so many things at that point in his life. I am having trouble writing things down in the right order due to that confusion. Barely a paragraph flows properly.

Unfortunately, the scene must be re-written. Airing certain issues in the first few pages will put some of the plot lines on a firmer path. As the books stands now, the reader might not buy what Giles does later in life in regards to Alison or understand the level of loss he experiences, the level of pain he carries already at 16. The scene from Alison's POV is too benign, too innocent. Honor for Giles is part of a calculation he makes selectively. The reader needs to see where those lines have been drawn and why.

I am beginning to see the shape of the book, with all its twists and turns. The most important thing I can do now is make the pivotal scenes longer and drive home the motivations of the main characters. I hope I have the skill to carry out that intention.

Amy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home