Friday, March 09, 2007

Meaning to Post

Scenes swirl through my head like fireflies on a midsummer evening. I keep seeing Giles throw down the eight-year-old Sebastian into the muck of a stall, but it happens too soon, even though it comes at the right time to solve a different plot dilemma.

Writing scenes out of sequence poses many problems in a book with several strong characters whose actions yield consequences years later. It’s like writing a symphony backwards. I’m worried that my characters will get out of hand, just like they did in my first novel. Already, Turner is doing things he wasn’t meant to do, but now that he’s done them I envision dark possibilities for him later on. I wish I could write faster.

Amy

2 Comments:

Blogger Seven Authors in A Private Conversation said...

Amy, If only you could quit the day job and write, write, write, just free write as a way to explore the characters and let them act and then you'd know the consequences of their actions.
Writing takes a lot of patience. We plod along, tending to the rest of our lives, patiently impatient to get back to our writing.
Reva

11:14 PM  
Blogger Seven Authors in A Private Conversation said...

Amy, I empathize. Lovely and truthful post. Can you take a day or two for yourself and just WRITE????? Victoria

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home